IF YOUR CHILD IS CHOKING
This is very common emergency that requires prompt treatment.Babies put everything in their mouths(not just food) and young children tent to run about with, drink or toys in their mouth despite their parent’s efforts to stop them.First thing comes in our mind what to do if child is choking.
FOR A BABY: Child is Choking
1) Lay your body along your arm and give her five slaps between her shoulder blades.
2) Check the mouth to see if the object had been expelled. Remove anything you can see.
3) If she is still choking keep her on her back.Place two fingers on the breastbone and give five sharp downward thrusts( chest thrusts) Check mouth again.
Also read: Children’s dental care
FOR A TODDLER OF YOUNG CHILD:Child is choking
1) Encourage your child to cough.
Leave him alone until he becomes distressed.
2) Give him five sharp slaps on his back between the shoulder blades(back slaps).
3) Check his mouth and remove anything you can see.
4) Give chest thrusts. Stand behind him, place one hand against his breastbone and the other hand on top, then pull sharply inward five times.Check his mouth.
5) If he is still choking, make a fist with one hand and place it below his breastbone.Cover your fist with you other hand.Pull sharply upward and inwards five times( abdominal thrusts).Check his mouth again.
CALL FOR AN AMBULANCE
Continue a cycle of back slaps, chest thrusts, abdominal thrusts and mouth cheeks until help arrives.
IF YOUR CHILD BECOMES UNCONSCIOUS:Child is choking
Use the following techniques if you know that your child has choked on an object, otherwise CALL FOR AN AMBULANCE
If he is not breathing.Give up to five breaths of artificial ventilation.
Check his mouth.If he still not breathing, turn him onto his side and give him five backs slaps between his shoulder blades.Check his mouth again.
Turn him onto his back again and
breastbone and give him five
downward chest thrusts.Check his mouth again
Place the heel of one hand below the breastbone and give five sharp upward thrusts(abdominal thrusts).Repeat steps 1-4 until help arrives.